Thursday, October 26, 2006

Becoming Modesty Blaise



Have you ever wondered how much a haircut can do for a woman?

Well I tell you. It can turn her into an international secret service agent

Yesterday, after a particularly nasty incident with some hair straighteners, styling spray and time, I had to abandon the fullness of the do and scrape back my remaining hair into a high ponytail and carry on and get into work, before my boss had time to realise I was unforgivably late.

Going about my merry, but every day business, way I bumped into Adam, my chum who despite having the chaos of three young boys and a fabulous but frenetic woman, Annie, at home is about one of the calmest and most "zen" people who floats into my orbit on occasion.

"My," he said. "You look very Modesty Blaise."

"Who?" I replied, clearly ignorant of the name.

Now I'm not really old enough or comic strip fan enough to really know who Modesty is/was. But Adam, with the aid of Wikipedia, enlightened me that Modesty is/was a retired head of a criminal cartel turned superspy, known for hair colour changes, skimpy outfits and a peek-a-boo fringe not unlike mine - hence the comparison (fringe not skimpiness).


But, physicalities aside, Modesty is tough, smart and sassy - basically one kick ass chick.

Being imaginative creatures Portia and I set to work seeing how we both could become similar kick ass chicks in the vein of Ms Blaise (it was either that or just sit having a coffee and talking about boys - I know which one is more interesting!).

Of course the first thing two fabulous girl spies needs is a mission. An ours, because we chose to accept it is to half inch a gnome and spray paint it gold.

Now we have our own reasons for doing this (we are talking about a secret mission here! But the reasons mostly relate to a project by Annie involving gnomes - however the less said the better) - so I hope you will not question us and wait to hear how the mission goes.

And we have a plan - it involves smoke bombs, suction pads, Elton John style glittery sunglasses and golden leg warmers. Fabulous.

Of course this leaves me with no option other than to invest in all manner of catsuits, miniskirts and a utility belt which houses all manner of spying equipment, a pistol, cyanide tablets and of course, that bit of kit no spy could live without...lipstick.

PS on that girl power note I'd like to warn one and all that in coming days (following the Scarlett moment) there may be some changes afoot on the old blog front.... You have been warned,

Suze x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol.... why do I suddenly hear, "He's a secret agent man" in my head... :)

You need some background spy music playing while you read this post! :)

I hope you had a happy Halloween!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I do SO love your blog. Always makes me smile and reminds me what wonderful creatures we women are.