Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What is the plan?

Just to be clear, Operation Distraction, despite its slightly misleading title, isn't about me ignoring my feelings. It is about developing my life in other areas so that I can move on.

I like to think of it as a healthy approach to something which is causing me difficulty.

This guy, lets call him Simon for the sake of ease and convenience, is a great guy (I feel a bit bad having called him a waistrel - but it's done - I refuse to change the blog if I do it once I'll keep doing it) but there is going to be no way that anything can happen between us, so obsessing about such matters is really not good for the soul.

The plan, known as The Master Plan, simply consists of taking the cliche Carpe Diem and actually doing it.

So with that in mind I'm looking at ways of expanding my horizons every day - whether it be taking the time to learn more about my valued friends, learning a new skill or doing completely ridiculous such as going to a Fatty Arbuckles and winning a certificate for eating a ludicrously oversized steak and icecream. Suggestions would be gratefully received.

Some elements of the plan have already been rolled into action. My good friend Portia, a single mum with a smiley and quiet baby called Bob who discovers the world through his mouth, has been dragging me out to some of the more ludicrous nitespots in town (sans Bob, naturellement).

We're not sharking, we're just out laughing mostly and dancing. Men are really just secondary to the whole thing and we're enjoying just having fun.

Also we have coming with a clearly life changing, albeit drunken, scheme to go to Somerset, get absolutely of our faces on cider at a scrumpy farm before cycling home on a tandem bicycle. Fabulous, I'll keep you posted...

But really we're just going out, having fun and meeting people before stumbling home with a takeaway and sleeping the whole thing off. Now that is good for the soul.

And until you have stood in the doorway of a trendy wine bar, wearing outrageous Elton John/Dame Edna Everage sunglasses and asked directions to Club Tropicana, because you know the drinks are free, you really haven't lived.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Keep writing, it will soothe you almost as much as a nice gin.
You make me laugh. If you can make yourself grin it will hurt less as you bang your head against the wall re: waitrel.
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I suppose I should worry about you. Says a lot about me and thee that I don't. :-)

I think you should work on a chav-wet fish interface. Make sure you get photos tho.

Ok, feeling uninspired for suggestions right now. I'll get back to you....

Anonymous said...

as one who has done the very drunk + cycling thing can i heartily recommend its a bad idea. 40 + stitches dont lie ;-) good luck with your distraction plans, i can sympathise muchly.